Immigrant Visa Granted to Step-Child of US Citizen

When a foreign national marries a US Citizen, the US Citizen can sponsor children of the foreign national for a green card so long as the child was under 18 years of age at the time of the marriage.  This is the law under Section 101(b)(1)(B) of the INA. Our client had married a US Citizen and had a child in Jamaica who was 14 years old.  Her husband filed a Form I-130 petition on her son’s behalf before he turned 21 making him immediately eligible to apply for a green card as the immediate relative of a U.S. citizen under INA Section 201(b)(2)(A)(i). As such, our client and her husband were able to bring the son to the Philadelphia area without any delay other than the government processing times. Getson & Schatz is always please to assist in reuniting families, one of the INA’s primary purposes.

Leave us a reply